A while ago I posted about how one can install Kubuntu on a netbook without cd-rom device. Although there were some issues on the NC10 still it worked pretty neat. Two days ago Kubuntu Jaunty (9.10) was released. I updated my NC10 with this version and this is what I discovered:
- Video artifacts in KDE login screen disappeared
- Speakers are muted when plugging in earphones
- Getting Wifi to work is a lot harder than the old Kubuntu version (especially 802.1x). I have to use knetworkmanager to make it work (sometimes it does not work at all).
- The screen brightness can be set with the slider of the energy widget.
If you are a hacker, what is the thing you want to be on a Linux System? Root. You can try to access a ssh server with the root user. There is an option in the ssh server configuration which prevents a remote root login. This does not mean you can not become root, it means no one can directly login as the root user. So if you are logged in as Alice you can simple enter the “su” command to become root.
How we can prevent the remote root login is described below.
When I bought my Samsung NC10, I noticed some weird behaviour of the sound card; when I plugged in my headphone the speakers still played sound as well. This morning I updated my Kubuntu running Samsung NC10 with a new kernel: 2.6.27-11-generic. After a reboot I noticed I finally had a headphone slider in KMixer.
Lately I was wondering if my Samsung NC10’s webcam worked under Kubuntu 8.10. I found this website which shows a tool called luvcview in order to show your webcam video. In order to install luvcview execute the following command:
# apt-get install luvcview
When the installation is done simply execute:
As posted here I recently bought a Samsung NC10. It comes with Windows XP preinstalled, but I liked to have Kubuntu 8.10 installed as well. The Samsung NC10 is equipped with a 160GB harddisk so there is plenty of space (at least for me). So I started to figure out how I could install Kubuntu 8.10 on a netbook with no cd- nor dvd-drive. In this post I describe how I managed to solve these problems.